"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Sat, 3 Sep 88 00:22:03 GMT
An increasing number  of LISTSERV maintainers or  potential future maintainers
has been asking me  to state what my intentions are as  far as future versions
of the  various flavours of  VM are concerned. I  have realized that  it might
save  me  a considerable  amount  of  time to  add  such  a statement  to  the
installation guide. In case  you were about to ask me  the very same question,
here is the answer... :-)

  Eric

PS: Please  excuse the aerobuzz  tone and  Executive Vocabulary -  usually the
    persons who asked me about this needed an answer for their Manager... :-)

>>> Excerpted from LISTINST MEMO, document number S01-003

  Statement of Support

  At the time this document was printed, it was not yet clear whether or
  not  IBM  would  decide  to  abandon the "HPO family" or not.   We are
  however in a position to make a Statement of Support for some  of  the
  products in the VM gamut.

  Existing products:

  o   We  intend  to keep supporting VM/SP CP Release 4 and 5; VM/HPO CP
      Release 4.2 and 5.0; CMS Release 4 and 5 in  the  future.    If  a
      Version  2  of  LISTSERV is developed, it will still support those
      operating systems.

  o   Although we will not remove support  for  VM/SP,  VM/HPO  and  CMS
      Release  3  from  the current version of LISTSERV, we have already
      decided that they would no longer be supported if a Version  2  of
      LISTSERV were to be developed.

  o   We  do  not  intend to provide any support for CMS Release 5 full-
      screen mode, nor any support for non-english CP  and  CMS  message
      repositories.

  o   No  provision will be made to allow LISTSERV messages to be trans-
      lated, i.e.  National Language Support will not be made  available
      for LISTSERV.

  o   VM/XA SF will not be supported.  See below for more details on the
      "XA family".

  Future products:

  o   We  intend to provide full support for VM/XA SP CP, as soon as the
      degree of compatibility of this operating system makes it  reason-
      ably  possible  for us.   For the time being, this support will be
      limited to 370-mode.  We are not yet in a  position  to  make  any
      statement about a possible XA-mode port.

  o   We intend to provide full support for CMS Release 5.5 in 370-mode,
      as  soon  as  it  becomes  stable  and  reliable enough to make it
      worthwile.

  o   We intend to provide support for all the future versions of  VM/SP
      CP  and  VM/HPO CP that IBM may release, as long as the conversion
      does not require an undue amount of time that would not be  justi-
      fied  by the benefits that might be gained from the use of the new
      features of these future operating systems.

  o   We do not intend to support CMS Release 6 unless IBM  releases  an
      HPO  6 operating system or CMS Release 6 becomes available as part
      of VM/XA SP, unless the conversion effort is negligible.   Specif-
      ically,  LISTSERV  will  not be modified to support the new Shared
      File System of CMS Release 6 unless this facility  becomes  avail-
      able  to  HPO  and  XA  operating  systems;  even in that case, we
      reserve the right to reverse this statement  once  CMS  6  becomes
      Generally  Available  and  we  have  assessed  the  amount of work
      required to perform this conversion.

  |                Summary of the Statement of Support                 |
  | o   VM/SP CP Release 4, 5 and future releases thereof,  VM/HPO  CP |
  |     Release 4.2, 5.0 and future releases thereof, VM/XA SP CP, CMS |
  |     Release 4, 5 and 5.5 are strategic development axis.           |
  | o   VM/SP  CP  Release  3,  VM/HPO Release 3 and CMS Release 3 are |
  |     being abandoned.                                               |
  | o   It is very unlikely that CMS Release 6  and  its  Shared  File |
  |     System will be supported in the future if IBM does not make it |
  |     available as part of a future version of VM/HPO and VM/XA.  If |
  |     they  do,  it  may  or  may not be supported, depending on the |
  |     amount of work required to perform the conversion.             |