Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 12 Sep 1986 20:35 SET
  Let me explain the cause of the various problems you had:

- DMSDDL (REPLACE option: I  had fixed this already but forgot  to ship the new
  version of LSVRECV, sorry about this. Marc's solution is the proper one, just
  specify the REPLACE option.

- Error 32 from MAINE PUNCH format: due  to a missing BITEARN NODESUM and a bug
  in the default value.  I changed a "Push chknode 'PUNCH.A  YES'" to a "result
  = chknode 'PUNCH.A YES'" for better  speed and forgot the following statement
  was "Pull . result", not "Pull  result". Anyway it generated improper default
  values.  I am  going to  resend the  info on  generating BITEARN  NODESUM and
  obtaining BITEARN NODES to LSTSRV-D. I  will also include a paragraph on that
  !"$"!$ NODES FILE  which I hope  will soon be  generated by LSVBITGN  (but at
  present  I still  need  GENROUTS for  that, obvious  speed  problem... :-(  )

- Return code 101  from wakeup is not  documented in the helpfiles,  and I hate
  it. LISTSERV *was* modified to purge empty  files, only I assumed you got the
  standard rc=4 from wakeup in this case. Oh well...

- Distribution problems: due  to a philosophical problem in  Send= Editor lists
  which took me 10  minutes to solve. Well, at the beginning  I wanted to have:
  "The owner can send to a Send= Editor  list IFF he is defined as owner at ALL
  the peer servers"  (and same for Send= Owner lists).  Obviously it can't work
  that way for files,  because the original "from" info is  lost. Files will be
  handled as a commands-job  in V1.5 and that should solve  the problem, but at
  present I changed the clause to  "ANY owner/postmaster at ANY peer server can
  send to a  Send= Editor | Owner list".  I intend to leave it  that way unless
  someone objects  to it  since it  makes the checking  much simpler  and works
  for both mail and files.

- Udo found a bug in LSVCHK which I  have fixed (duplicate use of "mm" in parse
  statements --> mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss :-( )

- Ah, about PUNCH  files > 80 cols: LISTSERV will  automatically use a contrap-
  tion of mine which I baptised "Listserv-Punch" (was not very imaginative this
  day) for punching  files > 80 cols. This is  completely incompatible with the
  Netserv GET80 format. Please listen to my arguments before killing me :-) The
  reason why I did not use the  GET80 format, for which conversion programs are
  available on Netserv, are:

    1) GET80  crashes on  files  > 255.  Try "TELL  NETSERV  GET80 XR  MODULE".
    2) GET80 is very  inefficient in some cases. Try "TELL  NETSERV GET80 CHASA
       EXEC (or XEDIT, don't remember which  one; anyway, only one line exceeds
       80 and it causes all lines to  be sent as TWO cards). Besides, Listserv-
       Punch does not strip records of trailing blanks if V-format (which might
       be a problem for data files).
    3) GET80 is not  as easy to decode as Listserv-Punch.  I wrote the LSVPUNCH
       program in  30 minutes  in assembler (and  didn't enjoy it  :-( ),  so I
       guess it  would not take  much time to write  a decoding routine  in ANY
       decent language. The  Listserv-Punch format is explained  in the LISTPUN
       MEMO which is not yet available ;-)

- Why did I  get to the pain of  creating a GET80-like format? Well,  I hope to
  add file server capabilities to LISTSERV  as soon as possible. First, we need
  it for  NOTEBOOKs created by the  "Notebook=" keyword. Second, it  would be a
  GREAT help  for lists  like RSCSMODS  where the mods  could ACTUALLY  be made
  available on the servers, and restricted to the members of the RSCSMODS list,
  for example. Besides, the distribution of  the files would be very efficient.
  Please note that I  do NOT try to change LISTSERV  into a Netserv-like thing.
  Netserv is  a very good  tool and I  see no reason  for LISTSERV to  become a
  concurrent/rival server.

All of this will  be called version 1.4a, and I'm sorry for  all the bugs :-( I
knew I should  have waited and tested  it thoroughly before shipping  it, but I
just got fed-up with  the 20 pieces of mail saying "when will  1.4 be ready?" I
got in my reader every so often. Will teach ya! :-)

  Eric