Thomas Habernoll <HABERNOL@DB0TUI11>
Tue, 17 May 88 23:48:33 MEZ
>From: [log in to unmask] (Jose Maria Blasco)
>> FROM DB0TUI11(LISTSERV): * Your node is outside this LISTSERV's service area.
>> FROM DB0TUI11(LISTSERV): * Your subscription request has been denied.
>
>I don't know why Thomas has set a service area on a peered list which is
>incompatible with the rest of the peers. I've fixed that (ie no service area).

Jose, thanx for fixing this while I was out of town (it really was a
bug, not a feature).

>From:         "Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
>Service areas are here only to prevent unwanted users from subscribing to
>campus-wide local lists and suchlike.

... AND (as a side effect) to prevent the inclusion of the list into the
global list-of-lists. From your explanation a while back (in February)
regarding GLOBLIST FILE and groups that are not of global interest:

>....However, this means that they [the local lists] will be entered into
>GLOBLIST FILE and that people from everywhere  in the world will try to signup
>to them.  This will increase  the size of the  LIST GLOBAL command  output and
>also the  disk space required by  GLOBLIST FILE. Thus you  should change these
>lists to:
>
>         Confidential= Service Service= Local
>
>....                                                     This change should be
>made before you install 1.5n, ie NOW :-)

And so I did for local redistribution lists. Unfortunately I have 100+ lists
on my Listserv, and apparently I added the "Confidential= ..." stuff to a
peered list. This was done unintentonally, otherwise I would write a much
longer explanation :-)

  Thomas