KEVIN MCKENZIE <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 15:42:00 -0400
Ok, set the HTML front-end of the CGI to ask for the list owners email
address, and also to ask for the password of the list.  Also you would ask
what they would want to do such as add, delete, set options, etc., and to
what users address and the listname.  Written in perl, this thing is easy!
Then pass the inputs to the CGI, where it takes the inputs, does a simple
sendmail inside the program to "look" like it comes from the owner in the
From: field(supplied from the HTML), and then takes the other inputs and
forms the body of the message to look like the JOB syntax commands.
Similiar to:

// JOB PW=$password
add $name_of_list $mailaddress $Fname $lname
// EOJ

Everything with '$' is a variable passed from the HTML.

If the password and email address of the owner match to what is on the
listserv server, then it works just fine, if they don't then nothing is
changed and it stays secure.  Matter of fact it sends the owner a message
telling them why it failed.  Now many people might think that this is
insecure cause it is an interface, but remember, if they know the owners
address and the list password, then they would do things on their own with
or without the interface.  This just makes an easy tool for user to input
things so that they don't have to remember any syntax.  I think it is
useful for people who have lists, but really could care less about the
inner-workings.  They just need to add and delete users on the fly, and
they like HTML input boxes.

Kevin McKenzie
DCIT
Clemson University