Peter Rauch <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 09:29:49 -0800
On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Dave wrote:
...cut, cut...
> Maybe there is a better way to do what I want:
>
>  I have a master mailing list containing all subscribers "A".
>  I want to send mail to a new set of subscribers "B".
>  There may be some overlap between subscribers in "A" and "B".

Maybe you could use TOPICS (e.g., set some subscribers to TOPIC
A, some to B, some to A,B), and then send postings to TOPIC A
subscribers (or to B, or to both)? I don't really understand
your requirement fully, and you don't explain how you identify
which group, A or B (or both) a subscriber qualifies for (so
that we can discuss how best to "tag" that subscriber in order
to meet your goal of sending him a posting).

In any case, your subscribers have control over changing their
SETtings for MAIL/NOMAIL and for TOPICS, so neither of these
approaches (mine above, yours below) are reliable.

Peter