Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 15:21:07 +0100
The following EXEC  can be run from the LISTSERV  userid to eliminate all
netwide SIGNOFF requests still in the reader.

The netwide DELETE function was removed from version 1.8a for a very good
reason, which has  been extensively documented about a  thousand times on
this  mailing list  and many  others (NODMGT-L,  TECHREP, etc).  This has
understandably upset a number of people who were using netwide DELETE and
were not  aware of  the problems  it created  on other  people's machines
because they were not impacted themselves.  Many times it was pointed out
to these  people that  it is  easy to  complain when  you're not  the one
getting the angry  phone calls from your manager and  paying the bill. In
particular people  were explicitly  warned not to  convert the  jobs into
netwide SIGNOFF  requests as  the resource  cost is  even higher  and the
response would be to disable  netwide SIGNOFF forever, leaving absolutely
no means of  action for the few reasonable emergencies  that one does get
from time to time. Unfortunately it seems that the CSGHSG5A staff decided
otherwise  and I  have already  had to  purge 713  X-DEL jobs  from their
systems to restore a decent level of service. This is exactly the kind of
thing  I love  to  see  happening on  a  Friday while  I  am  away for  a
conference. There are two solutions to the removal of netwide DELETE:

1. Install PMDF V4.2 or MX V3.3 and stop sending netwide DELETE jobs.

2. Stop sending netwide DELETE jobs.

If the community of sites that use but do not contribute resources to the
LISTSERV service persists in not behaving like good network citizens, the
sites that pay the CPU bills for the service will have no recourse but to
remove functionality that is too easily abused.

  Eric

/**/
 Address ''
 Trace off
 Parse Value Diag(8,'Q F *',80) with ':' nf .
 If ^Datatype(nf,'W') Then Exit

'PIPE (ENDCHAR %)',
     'CP' (nf+1)*81 'Q R ALL * |',
     'DROP 1                   |',
     'LOCATE /X-DEL     JOB/   |',
     'SPECS /PURGE RDR/ N WORD 2 NW |',
  'C: COUNT LINES              |',
     'CP',
'%',
     'VAR PURGED'
 If purged == 0
  Then msg = 'No file purged.'
  Else msg = 'Purged' purged 'file'Word('s',1+(purged==1))'.'
 Address 'XEDIT' 'COMMAND MSG' msg
 If rc ^== 0 Then Say msg