Hans van der Laan <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 29 Apr 90 23:52:24 MET
... (stuff deleted) ...
>available.  The bottom line seems to be that if you're familiar with
>networks and servers, you'll do all right; if you've never used a
>computer before, you'll probably pick up what information you can
>(much of it incorrect) from other users around you, and even after a
>year you probably won't know how to take full advantage of what
>LISTSERV offers.

Indeed, LISTSERV is "difficult". But: LISTSERV can be used by
many people, using very different computers and operating systems.

>I think that Bitnet needs a user interface similar to that of Usenet.

Sorry, I have my doubts here.

>People on Unix systems connected to Usenet can very easily find out

Very easily? A week ago I had my first encounter with RN, read
news, under Usenet. I have used many computers, many operating
systems, but no UNIX. No problem, they said, it is very easy,
and on any moment you have a very extensive HELP. Yes, you have,
but a typical HELP: if you already know you can read about it,
but if you don't know it doesn't help ;-).
The whole user interface is, I suppose, perfectly clear for
a UNIX user, but I think it is not for other people.
I think also LISTSERV is typical IBM-like, and a CMS user
knows the "tough and feel".

>which newsgroups are available to them; they can peruse back issues
>of these newsgroups, and subscribe to them if they wish, all without
>having to order any documentation from obscure servers.  The software
>lets you know what your options are, and prompts you for them at
>appropriate times.
>
>I don't know whether I'm enough of a programmer to do it, but I think
>that similar software could be written for systems on Bitnet.  A few

I think it is a major task to design a good and friendly user
interface. Maybe it should have the tough and feel of modern
PC programs, but than it will be difficult to implement on
minis and mainframes. But, maybe we should not go and try to
design one user interface, but several ones for different operating
systems.

>different implementations might be enough to allow this software to
>run on most of the mainframes and minis on the network.  The program
>could be menu-driven; it would maintain a list of lists and their
>descriptions, and would send appropriate messages to the necessary
>LISTSERVs (whose addresses the user would never have to know) for
>subscription, unsubscription, access to archive files, and the like.
>It would decipher LISTSERV-Punch format.  Like the Usenet software,
>it would interface with your favorite word processor and take care of
>sending your messages to the right addresses.  Such a user interface
>could bring Bitnet lists to a wider audience, and save everyone a lot
>of confusion.
>
>Does anyone else feel that this would be possible and valuable?  Does
>anyone here have the know-how to do it?

Valuable? O yes, indeed! Possible? Maybe. But who will do it?
Once more all those discussions as we saw around LISTSERV itself?
I have my doubts...

Hans

Hans van der Laan                        Bitnet: RCDILAA@HDETUD1
Advisor                                  S-mail: P.O. Box 354
Delft University of Technology                   NL-2600-AJ Delft
Computing Centre                                 The Netherlands