Scott Campbell <SCOTT@UTORONTO>
Wed, 26 Nov 86 17:06:24 EST
Okay, I sent a DISTRIBUTE job last night trying to distribute a file. Today
I discovered some people did not receive it so I tried again with Ack=Mail
I discovered that some servers were sending out multiple copies and one
(CANADA01) just crashed. With the problems that DISTRIBUTE have been having
lately, might it not be a good idea to turn off the DISTRIBUTE function or
limit it to known people at each node until it has been thoroughly tested and
known to work? Also, is there a way that you can send a file ACK=Msg,Mail so
you can get the msgs while it is going out and then have files to refer to?
And does anyone have a list of the 41 LISTSERVs that are presently running and
possibly a map of how they are connected for a DISTRIBUTE (or is that a dynamic
thing that depends on where it starts?)

scott

ps. a note on the sender: from: etc argument. BITNET/Netnorth/earn is based on
the VM RSCS format and (non)standards. Everyone on bitnet has to pretend that
they are an RSCS site so I dont see any reason what is wrong with basing our
mail on what will be nice for VM sites... (of course im biased being on VM but
I must admit that i like seeing LSTSRV-L MAIL instead of LISTSERV MAIL the
being normally something for the bitbucket anyway)