Pasztor Miklos <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Sep 1994 15:57:30 +0200
On Wed, 7 Sep 1994, Boisy Pitre wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to direct Usenet traffic from a particular
> newsgroup to a list server and vice versa?  There are several people
> who do not have access to Usenet who would like to read and respond
> to messages posted on a particular group via a list server.  Can
> anyone recommend something to aleviate this problem?

 Here is an extract from the EARN NETHELP FAQ on this topic.
 It answers not just what you ask, but I think it is useful.

 Best regards,
 Miklos
 Pasztor Miklos               [log in to unmask]
 MTA SZTAKI/ASZI  Budapest
 1132. Victor H. u 18-22. I. em. 125. | Tel:  (36-1)-129-48-41
 Institute for Computation and Automation,
 Hungarian Academy of Sciences

+++++++++++++ Extract from NETHELP FAQ follows +++++++++++++++++

 Question: How can I use <service> if my only network access is E-mail ?
 and to reach such a newsgroup via mail it is preferable simple to use
 the list.

 You can access News articles via E-mail the following way:

 3.1. Reading NEWS via the News Mail gateway at BLEKUL11:

 You can use the following basic commands with this experimental
 gateway:

 /NEWSGROUPS
 to get the listing of available groups.
 /GROUP  <name>
 to get the listing of available articles in a group.
 /ARTICLE <article>
 to get an actual article.

 Mail should be sent to
 [log in to unmask] ([log in to unmask]).
 Send an E-mail with:
 /NNHELP
 to get help.

 3.2. Reading news via the Netnews Filter System at db.stanford.edu

 This service provides not just simply news -> E-mail gatewaying, but
 does keyword searches in news articles as well. You can subscribe to
 certain topics (keywords), and you will get the first lines of each
 posting which is relevant for your topics. Use the SUBSCRIBE command
 in your mail message to do this. If you like an article you can
 retrieve the whole using the GET command in your mail.
 Send an E-mail message to [log in to unmask] with
 HELP
 to get further information.

 3.3. Posting news articles via Email2UsenetGateway

 Email2UsenetGateway is a tool which enables to post news articles via
 E-mail. It is written in perl, and can run on unix machines with a perl
 interpreter, news, and e-mail access. The machine it runs on need not
 bee a news server, news access via another news server is enough. The
 program was written by Abdul Malik at Texas Technical University, and
 is accessible at cs.ttu.edu.

 To post a news article e.g. to the group comp.os.mail a user can simple
 send mail to

 with the article as the mail body. The site cs.ttu.edu can be
 replaced with any site the gateway runs on. Note that the system
 administrator of the gateway can control who can use the gateway, and
 to which newsgroups.
+++++++++++ End of Nethelp FAQ extract ++++++++++++++++++++++++++