Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 14:38:13 -0400
On 9/20/2010 13:03, Pete Weiss wrote:
>  I don't think registering an alias in this situation is a good idea.
> There will be folks who have [log in to unmask] who don't have
> [log in to unmask] accounts.  There are several sources of
> conflict and consternation waiting to happen.
>
> I've seen it here (a long time ago).
>
> Maybe having customer (or list-manager) issue an appropriate CHANGE
> command (or some site-administered RYO-script) would be better?

The LISTSERV 'change' command applies only to subscriber addresses; it does not apply to
owner, editor, or moderator addresses.  If any of the individuals whose addresses will
change are listed as owners, editors, or moderators on any lists, the list header on each
list will need to be updated to change the affected owner/editor/moderator addresses.  The
use of a site-wide hostname alias eliminates this issue.  I believe it should also
eliminate the need for each individual user to re-register his/her LISTSERV password using
his/her new address.

The vast majority of the potential problems to which Pete referred can be avoided by
structuring the account provisioning process to prevent netid conflicts across the
combined address space.  In other words, every instance of a given netid should map to the
same individual user.  It does not matter whether a given netid and corresponding email
address exists in every portion of the address space; what matters is that when there are
multiple instances of a given netid in the combined address space, all instances map to
the same user.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team