Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 22 Sep 1994 22:51:43 +0200
On Thu, 22 Sep 1994 14:29:37 EDT Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]> said:

>What I would  like to do with  my article is to  include some statistics
>such as how  many messages our Listserv processed during  the past year.
>If  possible, I  would like  to know  how many  messages passed  through
>Temple's  Listserv on  their way  elsewhere and  how also  many outgoing
>messages the lists here generated on their own.

The good news is that 1.8a keeps  this sort of info automatically (I sent
you an EXEC  to query it). The bad  news is that 1.7f did  nothing of the
sort, so you'll only have data  from the installation of 1.8a. Unless you
kept all your console logs, you won't be able to recover the information.
You  can  of course  make  approximations.  If you  have  a  SMTP or  two
dedicated to LISTSERV, you will find some figures in SMTP STATFILE.

>I also would  like to know how  many Listservs are in  operation at this
>time. Further,  since Lsoft is  probably fairly active at  marketing its
>software,  I expect  that  the  number of  Listserv  is increasing,  but
>roughly at what rate?

In fact  the number remains stable,  because people are dumping  their VM
systems  at about  the same  rate  as new  TCP/IP servers  are placed  in
production. A lot of people left BITNET  this summer, as this is when the
CREN membership  fees are due,  and the process of  evaluating, ordering,
reviewing contracts,  installing, testing, evaluating for  production use
and  finally registering  the new  code takes  several months.  We're now
getting POs  for sales we negotiated  in July, and we  expect to register
these servers  in a  month or  two. I've often  wished things  move would
faster, but they don't. From  the business perspective, it doesn't really
matter -  once the  pipe is  filled, you  get more  sales calls,  POs and
checks every week,  and it makes little or no  difference that the checks
correspond to decisions made 3 months ago. The users, however, do have to
sit through these 3 months wondering what is going on.

I  wish  I  could  say  we're marketing  the  product  aggressively,  but
unfortunately we  haven't been able to  hire enough people to  do this so
far. Our  first office was shared  with another company to  reduce costs,
and got positively  crammed as both companies hired more  people. We have
now  moved to  a  larger office  and  I  believe the  last  desk will  be
delivered Monday  and the guts of  the last PC sometime  next week. We've
hired someone  to write documentation today  and are still looking  for a
salesman  who is  familiar with  electronic mail  and can  be taught  the
basics of LISTSERV  in a reasonable amount of time.  If you're interested
or know someone who would be, please write to [log in to unmask]

Anyway, while the number of servers has decreased or remained stable, the
number of lists, users and postings increases continuously. If you have a
PC with Windows, you can order NSC93.PPT (and PPTVIEW.EXE if you need it)
from  [log in to unmask] Unfortunately  these figures  are about  a
year old. We'll put updated figures on  our WWW server when it and the T1
are delivered :-)

  Eric