Derek Diget <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 May 2007 16:16:05 -0400
We have a department that is running a small LISTSERV box (less than a
dozen lists) and traffic for this box is coming in from the Internet
by way of our legacy sendmail gateway.  It passes the messages off after
a AV/AS scan to the LISTSERV box via a mailertable entry, but does not
validate the recipient.  (i.e. it just nows that any mail addressed to
@lists.subdomain.wmich.edu goes to machine a.b.c.d.)

We would like to move the gatewaying of the LISTSERV box over to our Sun
messaging server gateway that is authoritative for all the addresses
that it accepts mail for.  (It knows via LDAP lookups all of the
addresses in the domains that it is the MX for and rejects with 5xx

Putting the couple of static list addresses from the LISTSERV box in
LDAP for the Sun messaging server is no problem.  The issue that we are
not sure how to resolve is the list probe addresses.  Since the envelope
probe address varies based on the recipient of the probe, we are not
sure how to best handle this "temp" (or seldom) used addresses.  i.e.
owner-LISTNAME*LOCALADDR**DOMAIN*[log in to unmask]

Can the probe address format be modified?  i.e. We support "+"
subaddressing and could very easily support addresses in the form of
owner-LISTNAME+LOCALADDR**DOMAIN*[log in to unmask] since
[log in to unmask] would be in LDAP.

If the probe address format can not be changed, does anyone have any
suggestions on how to make a gateway machine authoritative for the
addresses on the LISTSERV box.  (I read the "A Listserv behind a spam
firewall" thread from March 2007, but I did not see this part
addressed.)

TIA.

Derek Diget                            Office of Information Technology
Western Michigan University - Kalamazoo  Michigan  USA - www.wmich.edu/