Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:51:30 -0400
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 13:37:05 -0230, W Schipper <[log in to unmask]>  said:
> I have just discovered that because my institution started subscribing to
> the ORBS filter, that a LISTSERV list I am owner of, and which is distributed
> from another system in another institution, has removed me as subscriber,
> because that system was not in the database as a closed relay.   Problem
> is that my subscription forms the basis for a full-text database, and while
> I can probably retrieve the missed messages from another subscriber, I
> would like to prevent this from happening again.

About the only thing you can do is have the system admin fix the problem,
and then get removed from the ORBS database.  If that's impossible for
some reason, subscribe a diferent address to the list, and have that address
forward it to the final destination.

If you need help with either option, feel free to ask...

> Is there a way to set an individual subscriber to be, so to speak,
> undeletable?  When I resubscribed myself, I noticed that the return

This is probably a bad idea.  You run the risk of having 50-60 pieces
of mail bouncing every day for months, possibly years (yes, there's a bozo
list out there where everybody is asleep at the wheel, and it's been getting
60 bounce returns from us every day for 3 years now.  They'll be surprised
in 6 weeks when our Bitnet gateway goes offline.  Or maybe not. ;)
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer