Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 17 Sep 1994 05:14:55 +0200
On Fri, 16 Sep 1994 23:03:50 EDT Valdis Kletnieks
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>Why? RFC822, section 4.4.2 says so...

Well, RFC822  doesn't say you  have to provide  a "Sender:" field  if the
message  isn't typed  from the  same workstation  that is  listed in  the
"From:" field. It gives the typical example of secretary typing a message
on behalf  of someone  else ("when the  sender is not  the author  of the
message", which  is not the  case here). It then  covers the case  of the
idiotic support  for multiple  addresses in the  "From:" field,  which is
then cleared up by having a single  address in the "Sender:" field to say
which of  the "From:" authors did  really send the message  and which are
just co-authors  of the message being  marked as such in  the mail header
for informational purposes,  and by the way I'd be  interested in knowing
just how  many mail programs  support that nonsense. Which  is, actually,
historically one of the reasons why LISTSERV takes "Sender:" over "From:"
:-)

>What is  Listserv's rationale for  preferring the Sender: over  From: in
>this case?

There  are cases,  such as  a mailing  list or  a news  gateway, where  a
message is genuinely  coming from user or  process X when it  was in fact
written by user  Y. Doing it this way allows  hierarchical private lists,
news gateways, etc.  I frankly don't see the point  of having a "Sender:"
field if X  and Y are the  same person. You want  a predictable behaviour
for your  campus e-mail (usually,  you want all  users to use  the campus
address). If  you put two  different addresses  in the header,  some mail
programs/servers will pick one and others will pick another one, and your
helpdesk people will just LOVE it :-)

>As such, MH  is merely identifying which entity posted  the message, not
>all that far removed from a Received: tag in tracing/auditing.

Except that "Received:" fields are dedicated to tracing/auditing and thus
totally harmless, whereas "Sender:" fields identify a message origin :-)

The root of the problem is that  there was no mail server when RFC822 was
written. All this  multiple "From:" address business and  :; grouping was
meant mostly for  human consumption, and as  such it is fine.  But a mail
server  needs a  single origin,  which had  better be  something you  can
actually reply to. The two main  reasons for using "Sender:" over "From:"
are the gateway/list issue I mentioned above, and the fact that "Sender:"
is, in practice,  much more likely to contain a  working address. It used
to be  common for gateways  to insert a  "Sender:" field with  an address
that actually worked,  and keep the nice 60-character LAN  address in the
"From:" field, with no real guarantee :-) On a more theoretical level, if
the "Sender:"  field indicates  indeed a secretary  sending a  message on
behalf of  his boss, I see  no reason to  assume that the boss  wants the
automated reply  to go to him  directly instead of being  screened by the
secretary.

  Eric