Zvika Bar-Deroma <AER7101@TECHNION>
Fri, 6 Apr 90 08:38:12 IST
When a user subscribes to a list, his net-address is taken "automatically"
from the mail header, or from  the message received at LISTSERV etc., so
the address  IS correct (at  least at the time  the message was  SENT to
LISTSERV).  However,  when one  tries  to  add  people to  LISTSERV,  no
checking at all is  done, and the only "sign" for a  bad address are the
rejection messages (and  if QUIET ADD was  used, we have to  wait to the
first mailing to be bounced back).

I think that it  should not be a big thing to have  LISTSERV check if an
ADDed  userid actually  exists (trivial  if the  address is  local, also
possible if the added userid is on another node running LISTSERV).

I am aware that my suggestion does  not handle ADD requests to sites not
running LISTSERV,  and that it does  not handle "legal" typos  (e.g. - I
ADDed ABCD0  instead od  ABCDO, but  both are  existing userids  on that
node). Still -  I believe that if implemented it  would enable to reduce
error messages and give better service.

Comments ? Better ideas ? Eric - are you willing to add that to the code?
Does it really involve just a bit of work ?

/Zvika