Brad Knowles <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 1997 16:33:53 -0400
Your message dated: Thu, 08 May 1997 21:49:01 +0200

> >    In fact,  in the system  we are writing  from the ground  up, that's
> >where the  bulk of  the work is  anyway. The part  of handling  the SMTP
> >dialog on non-forking servers, etc... is largely done.
>
> Brad, at  some point  you're going  to have to  decide whether  you're in
> operations  and  can't  speak  about development  issues,  or  you're  in
> development all right.

    I'm in operations myself, but we work reasonably closely with
development, and I'm aware of where the bulk of their work is
being done.

>                        This statement is one that I would expect from the
> development manager  in charge of deciding  how your new mail  service is
> going to  be developed, after  having reviewed the potential  benefits of
> using  (among  other  bidders)  LSMTP   as  an  API-driven  SMTP  engine.

    We haven't looked at LSMTP in particular, but none of the
commercial or freely available products (PMDF included) we've looked
at have had enough going for them that it was worth trying to graft
onto them the ability to gateway mail into the AOL mail system.

    And we've looked at quite a few.  By the time you rip out all
the things you don't need, and add in the things you do, there's
not much left of what you started with.  Under those circumstances,
you might as well write your own from the ground up.  That's what
we're doing, that's what CompuServe is doing.

> Incidentally, you are  going to have to  be a lot more  convincing if you
> want me to believe that "hooks to filter out the mail AOL doesn't want to
> get" is  the bulk of the  development work for AOL's  new ground-breaking
> mail system, and everything else is puny and trivial.

    It's not puny or trivial, but it's work that is largely already
done, and is based on the simplified task of only accepting mail
(not sending it), while the performance aspect is addressed by
other large-scale work we have done where systems have to be made
extremely efficient and handle several orders of magnitude more
load than they were originally conceived of as possibly handling.

    The hard part is all the work that's necessary to teach it how to
deliver mail into the AOL mail system, and the work that's necessary
to teach it how to recognize and refuse to accept various types of
messages based on a multitude of pieces of input information.

>                 You keep telling  us that you  are having a  problem that
> threatens the very  existence of AOL's delivery service,  well, if that's
> true I  certainly wouldn't use the  word "no-op" to refer  to a potential
> solution to this problem, even if it is a temporary one!

    And these are problems we can solve with our existing systems.
I don't see where grafting LSMTP onto the front end buys us anything.

--
Brad Knowles                                MIME/PGP: [log in to unmask]
    Senior Unix Administrator              <http://www.his.com/~brad/>