Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 12 Feb 1993 12:17:46 EST
 This might be of general interest, so I'm posting here instead of sending
 e-mail back to Hong Zhang.  LISTSERV uses the file DOMAIN NAMES to decide
 what Bitnet/Internet gateway to use for each recipient of a mailing list
 posting.  Well, for completeness sake, the info in DOMAIN NAMES may be
 overridden by a local exit routine too, but if all your mail is going
 to an INTERBIT gateway then I don't thin that's happening.  Anyway, mail
 going to [log in to unmask] is routed to whatever gateway claims responsibility
 for domain name "xyz.edu" or to a default gateway if no match is found.
 So the answer is "change (or override) the copy of DOMAIN NAMES that
 your LISTSERV uses" if you need LISTSERV to use the local SMTP server.
 Having said that, let me state that I've always been of the opinion
 that if a site registers an entry in DOMAIN NAMES, then it should be
 honored.  That is, since someone at ALBANY.EDU (the first .EDU entry
 listed in DOMAIN NAMES) went to the trouble of registering their gateway,
 I won't override it.  So, I'd suggest only overriding the entries that
 route traffic to INTERBIT.  That way, your local SMTP will handle all
 Internet mail for domains not explicitly listed in DOMAIN NAMES.

 -jj