George Radford <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:35:48 -0400
On 11:04 AM 8/15/2003 or thereabouts, Tim Parsons wrote:
 >LISTSERV 1.8d works with no problems.  Both primary server and listener
 >start up.  For 1.8e, the primary server service fails to start, but the
 >listener is okay.  I've renamed directories back and forth, and
 >consistently the 1.8e server doesn't start but the 1.8d does, with the same
 >configuration settings.  OS is Windows 2000 SP3.  Hardware is more than
 >capable.
 >
 >What is so different between d and e that Windows simply refuses to start
 >up the service?  Is there any know fix for this?  Thanks.

This happened to me, Tim.  Installing 1.8e "on top of" 1.8d (same dir) did
not completely remove knowledge of 1.8d from the operating system, and the
1.8e service wouldn't start.  The tipoff was that the 1.8e service was now
subtitled "primary instance", as if to differentiate it from a secondary
one (?) that was supposedly overwritten.  So I backed up the list files,
uninstalled all the Listserv bits, did a clean install of 1.8e, added the
list files back in, and all was well.

This all took more time than I wanted Listserv to be down, and so I didn't
bother to ferret out the offending registry key (or whatever it was).  It's
likely that trying to run two instances of Listserv on Win2K (or any other
OS, for that matter) is destabilizing.  Note also that if you use LSMTP as
your MTA, it will only hand messages to the particular instance of Listserv
that you designate in the address configuration, so you'd probably want
that to be the 1.8e one.  In that case, there's even less point in having
vestiges of 1.8d hanging around.

Regards,
George