LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 6 Sep 1996 17:39:22 EST
On Fri, 6 Sep 1996 14:43:48 PDT David Boyes said:

>One other question: is the MOVE command still supported? I know
>EXPLODE wasn't supported on non-VM implmentations, but MOVE
>allowed one to set up the new list, take the old one, generate a
>MOVE job with an exec that specified the new location, and
>LISTSERV took care of moving the entries safely between old and
>new lists, as well as issuing a nice "your server has changed"
>message to the moved user. MOVE also held processing of the list
>while the move was going on -- it was originally intended for
>reorganizing peered lists, but it works with non-peers too... or
>at least it did at one time.
>
>I can't find MOVE or EXPLODE documented any more, so this may be
>a moot point.

I think they died as DISTRIBUTE happened, which pretty much killed
off the need for PEERed lists.

Doing an ASCII ftp (mput *.LIST) works over to NT, and then when you
bring LISTSERV up on NT, it very kindly complains about the format
and reformats the list into the NT binary-encoded type format, so that's
not a problem.  I wrote little EXECs and such to go through and rewrite
list headers with a New-List keyword for each of the lists that had
existed on VM.  (Btw... another hint... if a list is Confidential=Yes
on VM, put the Confidential=Yes keyword in the new list header.)

One of the yucky tricks was finding all the list owners who were still
referred to with BITNET style addresses and redo those... the thing that
actually took the longest was FTPing the notebooks over... I was running
multiple ftp sessions and it still took me probably a day's worth of time
to do that.  (It might be a good idea for a site to clean out the notebooks
prior to migrating if their Powers That Be will let them.)

And you'll probably want to find a telnet daemon to run on the machine
with LISTSERV.  It's saved my bacon from home a few times.

-Holly