Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Wed, 5 Nov 1986 22:15 SET
  The Official  Executive Commission for  Studies in  a Foreign Country  of the
Ecole Superieure  d'Electricite has taken  the following decisions  after ample
deliberations:

1) Mr  Eric Thomas  is exceptionally  authorized to  apply for  studies in  the
   United States  of America,  considering the  interest he  has shown  in this
   and the unusual  relationship he has with American  Universities through the
   EARNET network.

2) However, this  authorization can be withdrawn  by the (zzzZZZ) at  any time,
   especially if it is found that Mr  Thomas would give a bad impression of the
   school. Under  normal circumstances,  only the best  students in  the school
   are allowed to (zzZZZzzz), and in the present circumstances it is only by an
   exceptional (zzzZZZZzz) that (zzzZZZZZ).

3) Of all the  Universities proposed by Mr Thomas, only  the following two were
   found to (1) meet the prestige requirements for Supelec -- low-level univer-
   sities are not suitable and would  not help raising the Prestige and Glamour
   of the school and (2) meet  the general political orientation of the school,
   which includes studying  programs, et al (read: if you  don't think you fall
   in category  (1), doooon't  be vexed,  category (2) is  here to  rescue your
   prestige!! *sigh*)

   The approved universities are: Notre Dame University (IRISHVM)
                                  Univ of Illinois at Urbana (UIUCVMD)

   No other university is permitted.

  Note that the above nonsense applied  to three of the 'chosen' students (with
item (3)  applying only to me,  of course --  the other three were  forced into
Santa Barbara  and Georgia Tech). I  am sorry for  the time you may  have spent
finding docs and phoning  people for me, I'm just not allowed  to apply for any
school except  IRISHVM and UIUCVMD. Period.  I'd like to thank  the 'dismissed'
people for their kind help... does any of you have an unused bomb? :-)

  Nick, Phil: that does NOT mean that I don't intend to come over to the states
of course,  just that I'm  disappointed to see  such an arbitrary  and despotic
selection imposed  upon me. There  was also an item  (4) which stated  that any
communication between me  and the US univ  should go through the  school, but I
have  of course  decided that  this  does NOT  apply to  electronic mail!!  :-)
(hmm... that  4th point actually reminded  me of someone else...  hmmm... ;-) )

Some more nonsense. The technical services of the school just informed us that:

1) The stairflight is not strong enough to bear the weight of a 4381. There are
   four identical stairflights so it just means the 4381 will have to be trans-
   ported 'by air', which would not be so much of a problem, but...

2) The window (none of the windows in  the corridor) is not large enough to let
   the 4381  in. Some smart-head suggested  that we remove the  aluminium stuff
   around the window frame  to give more space, and said  that there would even
   be 2 millimeters left  each side!!! We did manage to  explain to this person
   that maneuvering  something heavier than  1 ton with  a millimeter-precision
   requires  very sophisticated  and  therefore very  expensive devices...  The
   official position  is that "it's IBM's  problem" and "they should  split the
   4381 into 2-3  pieces, bring  them separately  and re-assemble  them later".
   So far no reply from IBM on  the feasibility of this. How's about a Teleport
   spell from the local Wizard? ;-)

3) Even assuming that the 4381 DOES get  into the machines room, we were infor-
   med that the floor  is not strong enough to bear it. The  4341 was the limit
   and the 4381 is taller and  therefore more weight/sq meter. They're conside-
   ring rebuilding part of the room to fix that problem...

  I'm just wondering  what will happen when  they've taken the 4341  back if we
can't manage to get the 4381 in... *sigh* Organization....
Eric

PS: I'm still  installing SP4 (actually trying to (1)  convince the IBMers that
    we don't have  to re-install all the RSCS, DIRMAINT  &co since *they're the
    same*, (2) that it  doesn't HAVE to be loaded and genned  in VM/VM while we
    still want  to TEST in VM/VM  and (3) that  we did NOT receive  the sources
    which we had said we want and  that we'd like them shipped, please, thanks,
    yes, we KNOW you  said you had included them in the package  but we just do
    NOT have  the tapes and  anyway the package was  too small to  contain more
    than 4  tapes so it can't  be that we've  lost them), and have  very little
    time to spend on  LISTSERV (and even answering mail), so  1.5c will have to
    wait (again...)