Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Nov 1991 12:20:44 +0100
On Thu, 7 Nov 1991 00:56:00 PST Leonard D Woren <LDW@USCMVSA> said:

>I have terminated a list that I  was hosting. Since it will take quite a
>while for  that fact to percolate  through the network, I  would like to
>set  it up  so that  when someone  attempts to  subscribe or  send mail,
>LISTSERV returns a message stating that the list has been terminated and
>directing them to another possible list.  I have changed the list header
>to specify Send=Editor and Subscription=Closed (and Confidential=Yes for
>good measure.)  I don't see anything  in $DEFAULT MAILFORM that  I could
>use for the desired purpose. Is  there a way to accomplish this (without
>LISTSERV mods)?

Modify the $SIGNUP mailform to say that the list has been moved, and make
the list  accept subscriptions from anyone.  This will cause users  to be
subscribed indeed, but since they won't be able to post it won't make any
difference.

>BTW,  Send=Editor  without  an  Editor=  resulted  in  a  posting  being
>forwarded to  some apparently random  address, even though the  mail was
>sent from my (owner!)  id. I think the doc says that  the editor and the
>owner can post to the list.

No, only the editor can post. The owner list might include staff from the
sites hosting  the servers that  are there just  so they can  make global
changes to a peered  list, but are not editors. The  owner can always add
himself to the editors list if he needs to post something urgent anyway.

  Eric