Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 24 May 2002 00:00:54 -0400
On Thu, 23 May 2002 15:35:51 CDT, Feather Lacy <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> Given that, we would still like to set the RFC821 "from"  for
> administrative mail from listserv to reference a real e-mail address, like
> we set the Postmaster.
>
> Is that possible in LISTSERV?

No, and for a very good reason.  Listserv intentionally uses the null MAIL FROM
so there *is* no bounce message coming back for certain classes of mail.

Otherwise, the following can happen:

1) Your Listserv sends out mail with MAIL FROM:<[log in to unmask]>
2) The other end can't deliver, so it bounces back - and since THEY don't
believe in MAIL FROM:<> either, they set it to <[log in to unmask]>

3) If [log in to unmask] bounces (due to quota, temporary problem, ANY
reason, bounce to <[log in to unmask]>

4) They bounce to [log in to unmask]

You see a pattern starting here?

It's *particularly* nasty if your.domain and their.domain are the
same - in other words, if you ever get a double-bounce, your mail server
will then go into a hard loop forwarding the bounce messages back to your
failing address, similar to the loop you get if mail to Postmaster bounces,
and you have your MTA send a copy of all bounces to Postmaster... ;)

Trust me, you DONT want to do it.  Even when Listserv uses MAIL FROM:<>,
a lot of bounces come back *ANYHOW*.  I've appended an example of what
often comes back anyhow - I see 20-30 of these a *DAY*, and it would easily
be 20 times that if <> didn't suppress most bounces...

/Valdis

--- start example bounce