Harold Pritchett <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 May 1998 08:28:50 EDT
On Wed, 6 May 1998 10:08:34 CDT Texas A&M Listserv Manager said:
>This is honestly something that I had never considered would happen.
>Last week, one of the people that owns a list on my Listserv gathered
>all the addresses of the other owners and sent them a message asking
>that they distribute the attached message to their list.  From what I
>could tell, this was sent to over 500 addresses, but no lists were
>sent the message.  The message was for an event for a local student
>group.  The message was sent to the owners of all the lists - including
>those with worldwide distribution.  I have not been able to determine
>whether or not that student group encouraged the message to be sent out,
>or if it was something this person did on their own.
>

>Q1:  would you consider this a spam?

No.  He did exactly the right thing.  If he had sent his mail to the
500 lists, then it would be a spam, and I would nuke him and the horse
he rode in on.

>Q2:  what would you do:
>     to the listowner?

I would counsel him a bit on being more selective in who he sends his
requests to.  As a list owner, I get requests every day to send stuff
to my lists.  Most of it i just ignore, but occassionally, when I think
it fits the charter of the list I will forward something on to one of
my lists.

>     to the list he runs?

Nothing.  They didn't do anything

My two pesos worth (still celebrating cinco de mayo)

Harold