Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 16 Nov 1991 19:07:02 +0100
On Sat, 16 Nov 1991 12:41:39 EST Stan Horwitz <OASIS@TEMPLEVM> said:

>This exec would transfer all of the files from that userid to my class D
>postmaster  account.  It would  than  receive  those  files into  a  new
>notebook. This  notebook would contain all  of the mail sitting  in that
>person's reader.  The exec  would than  send the file  back to  the user
>along with a separate note explalining what happened.

Well it's up  to you since these  are your users, but  since you asked...
This is  not transparent  to the  user. Unless  your users  are technical
types,  they won't  like  it. The  most commonly  accepted  method is  to
AUTOLOG the user in a way that causes him to execute the MAIL command and
exit, with a way for users who don't want that (for instance because they
don't use MAIL)  to disable the "feature", and of  course system accounts
should be  exempted. I remember how  a critical gateway lost  hundreds of
pieces of mail because a  well-meaning system administrator had forgotten
that MAILER wasn't an end user running GONE.

Anyway I don't understand  why this is such a problem  for you, since you
are running  VM/XA and  you can  have as many  files as  you want  in the
spool. The only thing  that should matter is how many  files there are in
the RSCS  spool, unless  of course  you are indeed  getting close  to the
spool file limit defined in HCPSYS.

  Eric