"Ahern Ikeda, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:33:20 -0800
A few weeks ago, our sys admin turned off relaying except for authenticated
users. After 2 days (and a lot of complaints from off-site employees who use
pop3/IMAP connections to deal with mail), he returned everything to the
previous state. Over that couple of days, I got over 700 error messages, but
I was able to relate the errors to the changes that had been made.

Following the return to the previous settings, I continued to get an
inordinate number of bounced mail messages, with a bunch of different
causes: Host Unknown, Relaying Denied, 3554 (000B099C) 554 Not accepted,
etc. The other weird thing is that these addresses do not show up as errors
in the daily monitoring report, AND, another weird thing, most of them seem
to be coming from the list itself, and have a weird header that I don't
understand. I'll attach one of those, and if anyone can help me out, I'd
appreciate it.  :-)

One more thing: my sysadmin now thinks that the listserver is causing
problems on his Exchange server, and clogging it with traffic, although it
never seemed to be a problem before. Is that possible?

Much obliged!!

Shannon
~~~~~~~~

The enclosed message has been identified as a delivery error for the SOAP
list because it was sent to [log in to unmask]