Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:46:24 -0400
On 11 Jul 00, at 15:47, Damon Green <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Seems I am being used as a relay for a spammer from Japan.
> My LSMTP box only allows connections from the listserv machine,
> unfortunately thats the machine he's using as a relay.

Apart from what's already been suggested, it's also possible that the
reason it *looks* like the LISTSERV machine is relaying 3rd party
mail is that the spammer is sending the mail to listname-request
addresses. In this case, LISTSERV is correctly accepting mail (since
it's part of its job to forward listname-request mail to the list
owners) and correctly forwarding it to the owner addresses. If the
only people complaining about the spam being relayed through your
servers are list owners on your server, then you should suspect that
the listname-request address is what's being spammed, and not that
you've got an open relay on your hands.

A good way to find out if you have an open relay on your hands is to
telnet from the system in question to mail-abuse.org. This telnet
server goes through a bunch of open-relay tests and reports on the
various ways in which your server is open or reports "Sytem appeared
to reject relay attempts" if your server is properly secured.

Francoise