Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:50:22 -0400
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:07:53 EDT, Brian Bohlmann <[log in to unmask]>  said:

> We do not want to try one of the recommendations we got, which was to set
> the FEATURE(nocanonify), which as I understand it, may cause rejections for
> unqualified hosts.

What this means in practice is that *IF* you have a subscriber on a list
of the form 'fred@bozo', it won't get qualified to [log in to unmask]

a) You shouldn't have subscribers with that form anyhow, since for that to
happen, either 'bozo' has to be sending non-fully-qualified names, or you
need a lazy/naive list owner bollixing up an 'add' command.

b) Listserv has been routing fred@bozo to your Bitnet gateway for years anyhow.
So if you had a problem here, the affected users would have been yelling back
in 1994 or so. ;)

(For the people that don't understand the problem - 'fred@bozo' *could* be
[log in to unmask] - but it could also be [log in to unmask] or
[log in to unmask] (yes Virginia, there IS internet on that mountain ;)

The general consensus is that breaking unqualified names is a feature, not a
bug - people who think a non-FQDN should work deserve to lose.