Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 11 Dec 1992 03:32:02 +0100
On Fri,  11 Dec  1992 03:33:38  IST David  Sitman <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>Users can not delete themselves  because of the "Validate= All commands"
>parameter. It is not new and it  has very little to do with transmission
>method. This is an  issue that Eric Thomas and I  have crossed swords on
>in the past. For the rationale behind this parameter and its effect, see
>the document LISTKEYW  MEMO. I tried unsuccessfully to  convince Eric to
>abolish it or change it just because  of lists like the one you mention:
>subscription is open,  so anyone can fall into the  list innocently, but
>you can only get off the list when the list owner sends a delete command
>with a valid password.

As you said it is not new that there are a lot of keywords one can set to
all sorts of  values, and LISTSERV does not try  to detect configurations
which are "stupid". For instance you can have a list for which anyone can
join, nobody is notified  when people join and leave, but  you have to be
on the list to review the archives.  And you can have a list where anyone
can join  but signoff  requests from non-local  users require  list owner
approval. I  run a number  of lists with  this latter feature  but closed
subscription, or then confidential lists where  all users are local and I
see no reason to  give hackers an easier time than  needed, and don't see
why I should give it up such because it can be misused in other cases.

  Eric