Hobart Braden <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 16 Feb 1993 12:23:01 EST
On Mon, 15 Feb 1993 13:36:55 EDT Christine Shih said:
>We have been using the digest feature here since it was available.
>It received great comments from several list owners.  But one of the
>list owners noticed that her list (a moderated list) digest contains
>the blurb that the moderator sees before a message is forwarded to
>the list. Namely:

>This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the xxxxxxxx list at
>KENTVM. If you simply forward it back  to the list, it will be distributed with
>the paragraph you are now reading  being automatically removed. If you edit the
>contributions you receive into a digest, you will need to remove this paragraph
>before mailing the  results to the list. Finally, if  you need more information
>from the author of this message, you should be able to do so by simply replying
>to this note.
>
>This blurb is not inserted in front of every message only every few. Did anyone
>else have this happened?  Our other lists which are not moderated do not
>have this problem.
With the Rice mailer, the form of the command used by the editor to forward
the posting to the list influences whether the "blurb" remains with the
posting.  An editor -- at least on our system -- can use
"forward ( noedit" to have the posting sent unchanged to the server.
When this is done, the server recognizes the blurb as being at the
front of the postint, and removes it.  If the editor edits the
posting herself before forwarding it to the server, it is her
responsibility to remove the blurb, because the server may no
longer recognize that it is there.
At least, this is my interpretation of what happens based on
experience with our mailer, and the LISTSERV server here.
Hope this helps.
/Hobart Braden