Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Feb 1993 22:54:50 +0100
On Thu, 11 Feb 1993 15:43:25 CST David E Boyes <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Once I have  Lmail installed and I upgrade the  Listserv forwarding code
>to the 1.7e  level, is there anything  else that I need to  do to enable
>the  interface between  the  two  forwarding systems?  I  don't see  any
>configuration variables in the new  FORWARD SYSVARS to let LISTSERV know
>it's got Lmail to play with now.

First, you should upgrade the forward  package to 1.7e right away if that
is not the version you are running. There is no functional difference but
older versions  may not work.  I don't  remember how many  versions there
have been but the  ones I found on the CERN machines  dated from 1988 and
kept crashing.

There is no interface between the LISTSERV and LMail forwarding, they are
two  different things.  LMail  can  only forward  what  it gets,  doesn't
attempt to  grab CMS NOTE  or PROFS mail from  the reader of  people, and
supports  source  routes  and  multiple  forwarding  addresses.  LISTSERV
forwards  by polling,  doesn't support  source routes  (at least  I don't
think it does, although it might  actually be tricked into doing so), and
only supports  a single address. Running  both is not a  good idea; there
are configuration  options to  prevent LMail  from accepting  SET FORWARD
commands from users, and you'd then leave all the forwarding to LISTSERV.
Alternatively if CMS NOTE et al is  not a concern you can simply turn off
the LISTSERV forwarding.

  Eric