Kathy Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 14:06:02 -0500
A list owner reported to me that one of his subscribers succeeded in
sending a virus to the list.  Indeed, I was able to download the .BAT
attachment from the archives, which contained W32.Magistr.39921@mm,
according to my antivirus software.  The list was set to
"Attachments=No" and "Language=NoHTML."  The message itself as it
appears in the archives looks like it has a "Content-Type:
multipart/mixed;" header.  I don't know how to attempt to duplicate what
happened.

How did this file get through?  Knowing that LISTSERV can't actually
scan for viruses, is there any way to prevent this in the future?

Thanks,
Kathy Montgomery
University at Albany