Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 23 Sep 1994 16:08:25 +0200
On Fri, 23 Sep 1994 10:53:32 SET Rogelio Montanana <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>The   simple  way   to  avoid   many  silly   messages  (like   delivery
>notifications) to  be distributed to  a list is  to configure it  with a
>Sender address different from the default (the list itself).

Things are  not that simple.  The official,  correct place to  send error
messages  is the  SMTP MAIL  FROM: field,  which is  [log in to unmask]
There are indeed  mailers and gateways that do not  respect this and send
the message  elsewhere. Some look  at the  "Sender:" field, some  look at
"From:", and  some look at "Reply-To:"  (this is in fact  the most common
case).  The  gateway you  were  having  problems  with clearly  looks  at
"Sender:".

>As a further refinement I tried to use the Filter parameter to solve the
>problem. The point here is that Filter looks only at the From field, and
>those messages have various and valid From fields.

It looks at  both "From:" and "Sender:",  if that is what  you meant. But
not at the subject field.

>However   they  all   have   the  same   subject  (X400   Inter-Personal
>Notification); is  there any way  to configure  a list (or  LISTSERV) to
>reject messages if  they have certain values in the  Subject field, in a
>similar way as is done for the From field in the Filter parameter?

No, not for now. I'll keep it in mind.

  Eric