Fri, 4 Dec 1992 16:45:00 CST
Thanks for your replies re my need to find a new host.  More information has
been requested, and I am eager to comply...

melvin klassen:
>Perhaps, you should give some "vital statistics" about your list:
> - how many subscribers?

65-75 regular subscribers; an additional 25-30 digest subscribers.

> - how many subscribers **not** "local" to your machine?

Only five or six people are local to our machine.

> - how many postings per day?

Highly varied.  Anywhere between 20-50.

> - how big is the average posting? 100 lines? 1000 lines?

Again, highly varied.  Almost never anything above 150-200 lines.

> - what's the main topic for your list? Star Trek? Quantum Leap?
>   Something more "scholarly"?

What we discuss is, again, highly varied; it's all grouped under the category
of metaprogramming, however, a concept coined by Dr. John Lilly to refer to the
process of self-improvement through transcendent transformation.  We hit on
mystical experiences, quantum mechanics, expanding technology, existentialism,
and the so-called "psychedelic" movement; one of the list's nicknames is the
electric commune, because the members tend to feel that the list doesn't just
discuss metaprogramming, but actively *does* metaprogramming -- the theory is
that this form of communication is not necessarily just about trading
information but getting inside of people, or something similarly mushy.  We've
recently covered the Orgasm 2012 theory of the end of the world, paradigms in
linguistics, and quite a few people publish poetry and discuss their love lives
as well.  Highly varied, as I said...certainly not scholarly, but not purely
recreational to most of us either...

> - why you think that there isn't an existing mailing-list
>   which is adequate for your purposes.

We checked around on this one; Extropians is much too technical, structured,
and political, Future Culture is only concerned with the technological aspect,
Fnord-L is also a newsgroup which is not an appealing feature to our members.
Leri-L (our list) already has a reputation for being a rather unique place to
hang out, and we would really like to keep it going...

>Thanks!

Thank you.  We're more than willing to comply with anyone's wishes regarding
organization, etc. -- the idea is just to stay in existence, obviously.  Once
again, I greatly appreciate any assistance you can give...so does the list.

Scotto
Leri-L Token Admin