"Postmaster (Niall O'Reilly)" <EARNUCD@IRLEARN>
Wed, 19 Nov 86 08:38:14 GMT
Eric,
Du calme, voyons ...

>Niall, Ross,
>
>  If you still don't agree with DISTRIBUTE  it means that you  are against the
>very idea of it. You don't  want to allow anybody  to use your server,  so why
>should other postmasters allow you to use theirs? That's all I  can say. It is

It's not that simple.  For my part, I haven't had an opportunity to read all
about DISTRIBUTE and convince myself that it's a "good thing".  It certainly
appears very interesting, but so did Pandora's Box!  If I agree to partici-
pate in DISTRIBUTE-ions, and there are unwelcome side-effects, Eric Thomas
is not responsible to the director of this computer centre, but I am!

Ross's point, as I understand it, is that whoever is responsible must have
control.  With RSCS, the control is quite simple: you can opt out of the
network, or else carry the overhead.  This is easily understood.  The
balance of advantages and disadvantages for DISTRIBUTE is, for the time
being, less clear.

>that. This  kind of  thing is impossible to  implement unfortunately,  and I'm

Of course, I understand.

>sorry to  see that  people do not want  to collaborate  with each  other (this

So far, who has refused?  It's unfair to impose this interpretation.

>  Eric
Niall