Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Fri, 7 Nov 1986 23:23 SET
  This thing  does exist. It is  called LISTSERV GROUPS and  is "maintained" by
the BITNIC. Note the double quotes.  I remember asking Judy to change RSCSMODS@
TAMCBA to RSCSMODS@TAMVM1 while I was in Texas. When I came back I asked again.
Very recently  I realized that  the change *had* been  made... but I'm  sure at
least 2  months have elapsed  between the request and  the change. It  does not
even list  all the BITNIC lists:  for example, TECH-L is  not described. Anyway
NICSERVE doesn't have  automatic-file-distribution, so nobody knows  when a new
list is created. Oh well, don't speak the name of the Devil ;-)

  My suggestion: a  *real* "LISTSERV GROUPS" file (under another  name to avoid
conflicts, both technical and political),  maintained by the Listserv Coordina-
tion (that's  4 persons now, so  even if I get  hit by a truck,  Harold goes to
Planet Mars  on vacations  and John breaks  his leg while  trying to  mount PUT
8604 ( ;-) ) on the  tape drive, we still  have someone to maintain  the file),
and made  available on Netserv.  People interested in  the file would  just AFD
to it.  Of course AFD  is available  only to node  admins, but... do  we really
want 23  copies of  the file sent  to each  node on the  network? ;-)  The file
would be  stored on LISTSERV when  the file-server functions are  available, of
course.

  Eric