Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Sat, 13 Jan 90 15:55:42 CST
Bill:
    I am sorry to hear you had trouble with LISTSERV - especially when it
started on ours!    ;-(

    The differences between NETSERV and LISTSERV are understandable given
the very great difference between the way EARN, NETSERV's net of origin,
is organized and BITNET.  EARN has NADs and BITNET really doesn't.  So
I think Eric had to map some value to be the "nad" for BITNET sites.

    From a quick look at LSVNAD (in LISTSERV 1.6d) it appears that
LISTSERV looks for two tags in BITEARN NODES to pick as NAD:

1.   :CONTACT.    The normal case.

2.   :ACONTACTn.  WHERE THE CORRESPONDING :ACONTFORn. has SYSTEM CONTACT
     in it.  For example see AEARN, ALIJKU11, ATGBOX, or NOBIVM.
     However, the ACONTACT1 for NOBIVM will NOT work in LSVNAD because the
     "ACONTFOR1" has "SYSTEM CONTACT." instead of "SYSTEM CONTACT ". I am
     not sure if the tag is coded incorrectly or LISTSERV is being too
     picky here.  Anyway, I don't see the :ACONTFOR1.  tag for ISUVAX.
     Most of them have something like ":ACONTFOR1.alternate system contact ".

    However, there may be a bug in this code - or maybe I just didn't construct
a test program correctly because I didn't seem to be able to call LSVNAD and
get the right result if the node of the acontactn. was different from the node
we were checking for (ie. ALIJKU11 or ATGBOX above...).  It may be ok, but
I didn't have time to really check it out and didn't see anything obvious.

         Marty