Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 Aug 1995 10:17:39 EDT
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995 08:15:52 EDT Chet Cady said:
>We are changing from listPROC to L-Soft's listSERV, and I have two
>questions about file archives under listSERV (since the products work
>differently).
>
>As I read the listserv documentation, it seems that the listserv
>maintainer MUST be directly involved in creating a file archive, that
>there's no way for a list owner to do so without the listserv
>maintainer.  Am I correct in this understanding?

This is correct for the time being.  The interim file system requires
that the LISTSERV maintainer make an entry in the SITE.CATALOG for
every file stored on the server.  (This is different on VM, where
the only thing the LISTSERV maintainer must do is make the empty
filelist, which the list owner then modifies.  I assume you're on
unix, though, since you're migrating from listproc.:)

>Second, it also seems that a file archive MUST be associated with a
>list.  (This is not a requirement of listPROC, lest you think this is
>an off-the-wall question!)  It seems that the only files that aren't
>under lists are administrative files such as LISTOWNR MEMO, and that
>these are really under a list called listserv, even though that's not
>immediately apparent.  Does a file archive have to be under a list?
>Is there a way we can have users GET files without specifying a list?

In the interim file system this is not technically a requirement.

You would have to specify a list under VM only if there was a
filename conflict (e.g., two filelists have a README TEXT file),
in which case you'd have to request README TEXT listname in order
to get the right one.

Nathan