Ken Wieringo <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 May 1997 18:50:31 -0400
Valdis, what is the garbage at the bottom of the page?
Ken
===================

At 12:34 PM 5/8/97 -0400, you wrote:
>--==_Exmh_-1975136936P
>
>On Thu, 08 May 1997 11:28:14 EST, you said:
>> We run the MUSIC operating system as a guest under VM.  Today I received
>> the following reply when trying to send email from MUSIC via VM SMTP to
>> AOL.
>>
>> VM.NMU.EDU unable to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
>> VM.NMU.EDU received negative reply:
>> 553 <@VM.NMU.EDU:[log in to unmask]>... Source routed envelope sender
>>     rejected (See RFC 822, section 6.2.7)
>>
>> Has anyone else seen anything like this?  It was working last week and
>> its my "belief" that I didn't change anything...
>
>(Am CC'ing this reply to several places - apparently more people are
>complaining now....)
>
>AOL has decided   to  unilaterally violate RFC1123,  sections  5.2.19,
>which  requires    accepting  source    routes,    in  favor   of   an
>as-yet-still-draft future standard  that permits rejecting  these.  We
>have already contacted AOL, and they seem to feel that the language in
>RFC1123, section 5.2.6 which permits simply ignoring the source route,
>is insufficient.
>
>We   have been informed by   Brad Knowles of   AOL  that they consider
>section 7.5 of draft-ietf-drums-smtpupd-04.txt (still in draft status)
>to be more important than RFC1123, which is in full standard status.
>
>Quite  frankly, this is  no way  to  run an  Internet.  Once the DRUMS
>document moves  up to Proposed  Standard  status or  so, I'll  support
>AOL's right to implement it.   But disregarding the standards in favor
>of a draft  is no way to  do business,  even if  you do have  the most
>market share.
>
>--
>                                Valdis Kletnieks
>                                Computer Systems Senior Engineer
>                                Virginia Tech
>

>--==_Exmh_-1975136936P
>
>-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
>Version: 2.6.2
>
>iQCVAwUBM3IAiNQBOOoptg9JAQGhgwP9HTrEMfmOps0tLKofanOwdnW7vlfMx32V
>xf4RfezAVEuJI9cA/4fxNWKcJP89nNttJtCa51q1H8gO6/AmC78Rd0YzKMMQ1xBo
>SZ1+A538iNNdYjpb7ds0PzSzz+ns4X9CM7NIuyWlyev8Lvcu4FjpCMMvgT+GXRBi
>0LbenpVHRy0=
>=L8tg
>-----END PGP MESSAGE-----
>
>--==_Exmh_-1975136936P--

Ken Wieringo TV/IS Engineer            Phones Local = 540-857-7584
Roanoke Valley Graduate Center           VT campus = 13855
117 West Church Avenue                                Fax = 540-857-7371
Roanoke VA 24011-1905                        Alt email = [log in to unmask]
Email = [log in to unmask]                 at UVA  = [log in to unmask]
                                Amateur Radio n4lyo