Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 5 May 2004 08:14:31 -0500
Ben Parker wrote:

> X-SUPD jobs are information exchange between servers.  List Owners should
> never see them unless something is terribly wrong.

I doubt that there were any complaints from list owners. I know there was at
least one complaint from a site administrator, because I sent it. But, I did
not complain about the X-SUPD jobs; I complained about the weekly DISTRIBUTE
job from the same sender address. We have been receiving these jobs once a week
for several weeks. That sender is not authorized to submit DISTRIBUTE jobs to
our server, so the jobs were ending up as .error files in the /listserv/spool
directory, thus creating additional work for our Messaging Services team.

These recurring attempts to exploit our server motivated us to 'serve out' the
sender address, but the jobs just kept on coming, as regular as clockwork, so
I decided to complain. I was unable to find an abuse address for the gcfi.org
domain, so I sent the complaint to the administrative contact for the domain -
someone with a Florida state government email address. Apparently, it got
someone's attention.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator