Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Nov 2000 19:06:22 -0500
On 9 Nov 00, at 16:45, Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Then you obviously don't know how to do it wrong ;-)  I have truckloads of
> AOL'ers on SJU's system who get along just fine.  What I see is a daily
> trickle of blown "subscribe" commands that got to Listserv OK, but the
> internal RFC822 "To:" is [log in to unmask]: with the trailing
> colon.  One of my owners explained this as them using some utility that
> built the subscribe request for them based on some message they extracted
> from Listserv.  But I forget the details.

Just a conjecture, but I bet that somewhere there are instructions
that say something along the lines of:

To subscribe to this list, send the following message to
SUBSCRIBE listname your name

Perhaps AOL's mail software is picking up the ":" when they double-
click on the address or perhaps people are cutting and pasting the
address and picking up the colon when they do so.

Francoise