"Eric Thomas (CERN/L3)" <ERIC@LEPICS>
Sat, 10 Sep 88 23:43:46 GMT
Boy do  I hate HPO5  spooling "enhancements"! Richard,  please send a  copy of
your fix to  James and Darren, a lot  of files are being lost  because of this
bug (oops, what did I say, I meant "Undocumented Feature" of course :-) )

  Eric

PS: If IBM has an official fix, please send me the APAR number so I can inform
    affected postmasters directly.

I will  bet that you are  running HPO 5. There  is some sort of  strange spool
problem that will cause  files to be left in error status  with the active bit
turned on. This will  cause DMSRDR (the RDR command) to fail. I  do not have a
solution for  the problem but I  do have a  circumvention on my LISTSERV  of a
modified RDR module that will skip files with the inuse bit turned on.

If this is indeed  your environment, drop me a note directly  and will be send
you the module or  you can do it yourself by changing the  CMS code for DMSRDR
where  the check  is made  for files  in hold  or syshold  by also  adding the
equated name  for the  inuse bit  (sorry I  don't remember  off hand  what the
equated name is as it has been a while). I also have an open incident with the
IBM  Support  Center about  this  and  any  information  that people  in  this
environment could  provide me  about the  occurance of  this problem  would be
appreciated.