Michael Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Sep 1995 16:30:05 -1100
>* Try sending email to [log in to unmask]; they will find a host system
>for you. Tell them the name of the list, its purpose, and who the list admin
>is to be.<

List Name:  FLOCKGUARD
Purpose:  Networking the rescue, remedial training, and new home placement
of dogs normally used as flock guardians.  This involves coordinating
sentinels to visit shelters and otherwise become aware of needs, drivers to
transport dogs, evaluators and trainers to judge dog's needs and provide
training/retraining, evaluators for rescue homes, foster homes, and actual
placements.

This cannot be accomplished using the current DOG-RESCUE list and
r.p.d.rescue because Flock Guardians require very careful socialization to
evoke their independent steady and measured response to threatening
situations.  The knowledge exists possibly on another list, LGD-L, which is
dedicated to education about livestock guarding dogs, but that list has
moderate traffic for its own purposes and needn't be burdened with a rescue
task.

A web page dedicated to Flock Guardian Rescue is also under construction.
It will graphically represent the nodes and interconnections of the
network.

Flock Guardians are becoming more popular as pet dogs.  There are three
Anatolian Shepherd puppies in a pet store in Chicago as this is being
written.  This conduct represents a potential danger to the public as these
dogs have special abilities which enable them to guard sheep from wolves
and lions in Turkey.  No family is likely to learn enough from pet store
personnel to manage these Flock Guardians, and injuries to humans or other
dogs could occur for simple human ignorance and no other reason.

List Administrator:  Stacey Kubyn--Caucasian Ovtcharka Club of America
Rescue Coordinator, and breeder of Caucasian Mountain Dogs.

List Support Personnel:  Michael G. Moore of the Northwest Arctic Borough,
experienced with majordomo, listproc, and listserv.  [log in to unmask]
and [log in to unmask]

We would appreciate any help you may be able to offer in locating a
suitable host.