Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 31 Aug 1994 11:47:19 +0200
On Tue, 30 Aug 1994 22:01:46 CDT Bob Jackiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>   I have a list (not mine, actually) in which the owner wants to send
>out digests more than once a day. I would think that size(600) would
>send out the digest once it reaches 600 lines. It doesn't. The line is
>
>* Digests = Yes,Same,Daily,Size(600)

It's "Digest=" rather than "Digests=", but otherwise the syntax is
correct.

>and the DIGEST file is now over 900 records.

Assuming you  did write "Digest=",  it would be  a bug. Note  that simply
changing the keyword will not send  the digest immediately. You'd have to
post a new message, and then it should be sent.

>  Second,  as admin  at our  node,  I get  announcements sometimes  that
>someone has been assigned a password,  and other times a request for the
>addition of a password. Why the difference in password notices?

This is controlled by a site-customizable exit, which is shipped with the
initial installation  kit and  then never  updated, to  avoid overwriting
local changes.  Since 1986 the default  exit changed 3-4 times,  and each
had its  own set of  rules of accepting  or rejecting passwords.  You can
just stick "Exit 0" at the top  of LSV$PW EXEC to have it accept password
additions at all times.

>   And  finally,  what  are  the  SMTP codes  which  cause  ListServ  to
>auto-delete users? One in particular is  554 ... cannot resolve name. Is
>this  assumed  to   be  a  'temporary'  problem  so  the   user  is  not
>auto-deleted?

Actually,  it is  LMail  that  converts the  SMTP  code  to the  LISTSERV
delivery error  format. 550,  551 and  553 are  permanent errors.  554 is
temporary. But, of course, some systems use 550 for everything...

  Eric