Bob Jackiewicz <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 16:27:12 CDT
I have a few questions for the LISTSERV gurus.

1. What's the accepted method of deleting a list from ListServ 1.8a? Is
   erasing the LIST file adequate and safe?

2. How can I set a list to send out digests at a specific time, twice a day?
   I want one of our lists to go out at 6am and 6pm. The digests= keyword
   seems to only be able to take one time.

3. I read the following in the comp.mail.sendmail group:

>Unix ListProc, and its inspiration Revised LISTSERV (VM and VMS), are
>both infamous for only using the SMTP envelope sender as the "sender
>address", in violation of RFC822 and RFC1123, because they ignore the
>"Reply-To:" and/or "From:" header fields.

Essentially correct, and much complained-about.

There is a kludge (a wrapper script called Catmail) available on
cs.bu.edu for current LISTPROC systems.

    ftp://cs.bu.edu/pub/listserv/utils/use_From:_address.sh.Z

>I don't know what CREN (vendor of new commercial ListProc) and LSOFT
>(vendor of new LISTSERV for Unix) plan, if they are going to fix this
>problem (I hope so).

CREN awarded the mailing list management software contract to
Anastasios Kotsikonas <[log in to unmask]>, author of LISTPROC, *not* to
Eric Thomas, author of Revised Listserv.

ListProc v7.0 is, I believe, currently available for several UNIX
platforms from CREN, under license.

ListProc 7.0 reportedly uses the message header From: rather than the
envelope From_ for subscriber address determination.

Starting with late version of ListProc 6.0 (the less-encumbered
version), subscribers have the option of changing their own
subscription addresses under a password-protected mailable account
status command.

   Can anyone (Eric?) comment? Thanks.

  Bob Jackiewicz [\]        UIC Computer Center        E-mail: [log in to unmask]
  University of Illinois at Chicago                  ListServ Administrator
  My best view from a Window was through OS/2.