Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:52:08 -0500
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:17:01 -0400, Bruno Robichaud said:
> Hey, The reason I wanted to use my own system to process the Bounced is I
> didn't want to put to much charge on the listserv box, I mean it's sending
> email + handling bounced by creating chanlog text file with the bounced in
> it. Does it affect listserv performance to let listserv handle the bounced
> like if I send 1 millions of email and a lot of these address bounce would
> it take too much resource from listserv? I don't want it to die from
> exhaustion :P

If you're sending 1 million e-mails, the problem is *not* in handling the
bounces (at least after the first time - expect a *lot* of bounces until
you wash the database).  Your biggest bottleneck will almost certainly
be trying to make the first delivery attempt to all the destination systems
in a reasonable amount of time, especially if management has decided on some
very unreasonable definition of reasonable. ;)

Remember - if you have a million addresses, you'll probably find that half
of them are at 'the big boys' - and you'll have to worry about how to send
that many mails to AOL, Yahoo, MSN, and places like that without ending up
in their spam filters.  That will leave you 500K or so users that will be
scattered across 100K different little mailservers....