Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 2 Jun 90 17:16:54 O
>>The first time  I tried this, listserv said the  request needed to come
>>from user [log in to unmask]

The  problem  is that  there  is  no  such  concept as  "registered  node
administrator" for domain-style addresses, and  LISTSERV then asks you to
send from 'MAINT@hostname', under the assumption that someone with enough
privs  to   make  an  account  called   MAINT  is  a  good   enough  node
administrator.

With release 1.6e, this problem  will disappear for BITNET hostnames when
a :internet tag has been coded in the node's entry.

>>Now when  I try  it, however,  I get the  following message.  Why would
>>listserv tell maint that it isn't maint?

Because of a bug in the code,  probably due to the fact that, originally,
there was  no 'MAINT@hostname' default, ie  if no contact was  defined or
the hostname  was not  a BITNET  nodeid, nobody  was authorized  to issue
privileged commands.  The way it is  coded, it will fail  the first time,
but work the  second and following times. I've checked  the 1.6e code and
the  bug is  no longer  there -  the routine  in question  was completely
rewritten anyway.

  Eric