Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:47:39 -0400
On Jul 30, 2015, at 6:45 PM, Lisa Baas <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I got myself into a pickle while creating a bunch of similar lists by cloning. Evidently, I hosed up one of the lists and it showed up in the selection list as two separate lists with the same name. Selecting either brought up the same config. I didn't want to cause confusion later on so I deleted one of them. No errors. The other is still in the selection list but when selected says there's no such list. When I try to create another with the same name it tells me the list already exists.
>
> Is there a command to do an inventory and identify and/or delete phantom lists? I haven't hit on the right search terms to find anything out in the ether.

It sounds like the problem is probably that these ‘phantom’ lists have an incorrect ‘List-Address=‘ setting.

If you’re using LISTSERV 16.0, go under ‘List Management’ to ‘LISTSERV Command’ and issue a ‘lists’ command.  Any lists that have a ‘List-Address=‘ setting of this sort will be identified as such:

>> altname          List Title
>>                  Alias: REALNAME

where ‘altname’ is the name that appears in the ‘List-Address=‘ setting and ‘REALNAME’ is the mailing list’s actual name.

The next question is how to fix the list’s configuration.  Since LISTSERV thinks the mailing list’s actual name is the List-Address= value, this is a little tricky.  What I normally do is go to

	http://.../wa.exe?HDRED1=REALNAME

where ‘REALNAME’ is the actual name of the mailing list.  This should take you directly to the manual configuration page for the mailing list, at which point you can change the ‘List-Address=‘ setting, and make whatever other changes to the mailing list’s setup that are desired.

Hope this helps!

-jwgh