Bernie Fuggle <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 May 2004 16:48:18 -0500
Removing items from the archives aside, I wholeheartedly agree that the more
things that can be ported to a web interface from "mail only" the better.

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of UB Listserv
Administrator
Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 4:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: How to remove single message from archives?

For me, from time to time archive editing is absolutely necessary, and an
easier web-based method of doing it would be beneficial. I can see the
concern that an overzealous listowner would be erasing email history, but
policies and practices aside, we are talking about improving a method of
something that is possible to begin with, so I'm all for forward progress.
At least on a sysadmin level if not the list owner level. Plus the more
'by email only' things L-Soft can take and port to the web, it gives them
that much more of a competitive product.

Just my 2 cents.

-Jim

--
Jim Serwinowski                 [log in to unmask]
UB Listserv Administrator       http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Stan Horwitz wrote:

> Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:32:23 -0400
> From: Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: How to remove single message from archives?
>
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Pete Weiss wrote:
>
> >At 18:33 04/28/2004 Wednesday, Brett Lettice wrote:
> > >I agree, the current format of archives makes the removal of a single
> > >message a rather cumbersome process, something that I have to go
through all
> > >to regularly. As a future enhancement request could archive management
tools
> > >be added to the listserv platform - something available at a list owner
> > >level in the web interface?
> >
> >List-management is highly subjective; many folks believe you should never
> >alter the archives.  Archive editing is a slippery slope, especially as a
> >personal time-sink.  To a certain degree, it is even a exercise in
> >futility especially if there are third-party (and unregulated, even
> >personal) archives.
> >
> >I would be hard pressed to remember if I've ever done such a thing in the
> >more than a decade of operating lists (that's not to say that I've never,
> >I just can't recall).
>
> I couldn't agree more. Something is wrong if Listserv archives need to be
> modified manually on a regular basis. My experience is similar to Pete's.
> In the twelve years or so that I have been administering Listserv
> installations, there can't be more than three or four times in that entire
> period when I have been called upon to remove an unwanted postings and of
> those, I think only one was for human generated content, the others were
> viruses that managed to get into the archives.
>
> Ocassional requests of this nature come to me from the help desk here
> (maybe one request every other year). My response is typically to refer
> the list owner to the faq file.

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized, and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.