CERN Eric Thomas <ERIC@CEARN>
Sun, 23 Aug 1987 01:01 GVA
  LISTSERV can  function under CMS  release 5. There  are however a  number of
restrictions, and I spent  a lot of time on some  utterly enthralling fixes as
you will see.

1. Under CMS release 5, the message "VM/SP RELEASE N, SERVICE LEVEL NNN" is no
   longer in english. It is in the national language. This makes it incredibly
   easy to parse,  which is why I had  switched to the diag 00 bit  map in the
   previous  version of  LISTSERV. There  have  been so  many complaints  from
   people running CMS4 under CP3 or CMS3 under CP4 that I have reverted to the
   Q  CMSLEVEL parsing.  The  integer part  of  the first  word  in the  reply
   starting with a numeric digit is said to be the CMS version.

2. LISTSERV  will not start  unless it is  provided with either  the uppercase
   english or  american english message table.  If you are not  satisfied with
   this,  I  will  be  glad  to provide  you  with  an  International  Message
   Repository of my own, comprised solely of censored error messages (for your
   very own exclusive private use only) :-)

3. If the  uppercase english (SP4 compatible) table is  not available, a flame
   is printed on the console to the  effect that 'Thou shalt not feel entitled
   to express thy  dissatisfaction as regards message  parsing problems', with
   the  implicit  statement  that  the  aforementioned  International  Message
   Repository file  is available  to you free  of charge if  you do  not fully
   agree with this disclaimer.

  I do not recommend running LISTSERV under  CMS5 if you have CMS4 (unless you
put  all the  execs in  CMSINST :-)  ). However,  if you  only have  CMS3, the
performance improvement offered by CMS5 might be worth the migration.

  Eric