Al Iverson <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:53:04 -0600
Stephen C. Nill wrote:
> [Posted to LSTSRV-L and LSTOWN-L.]
>
> Colleagues,
>
> I have a need to easily obtain all subscribers for all lists, without
> duplicated addresses (such as where a given subscriber is subscribed to two
> or more lists).  The end result needs to be a single listing of email
> addresses and, optionally, corresponding names, without duplicates,
> representing all subscribers of all lists.
>
> Problem:  With 150+ lists, it is inconvenient and time-consuming to issue
> the typical REVIEW command for each list, and then merge and purge to
> delete duplicates.
>
> Having read all the manuals and scanned the archives, and having posted
> this question some weeks ago, I am fairly well convinced that there is no
> ready means to accomplish this task.  For example, for security reasons, as
> I recall, LISTSERV does not have a command to do what I want.
>
> I do plan to implement DBMS and utilize MS SQL 2000 Server as the
> datastore.  Indeed, I have set up a test list that accomplishes
> this.  However, given the demands on my time, it will likely be several
> weeks or months before I can migrate all existing lists to SQL 2000.  At
> that point I will have a number of options for pulling data out of the
> database -- problem solved.  Until then, though, I find myself spending
> considerable time getting the simple end-result I need:  a single listing
> of subscriber email addresses for all lists, without duplicates.
>
> Anything I'm not considering?  Is there some simple thing I'm missing?

I guess if I needed to do that I'd just write a shell script that did a
LIST command to get all the listnames, then have it do "review all" for
all of them, then have it clean it up and dedupe it.

Regards,
Al Iverson

--
Al Iverson -- http://www.radparker.com -- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Support Minnesota Jazz -- Disclaimer: All of my opinions are mine alone.